Movement & Construction Joints
- Design location of movement joints to accommodate / permit expansion, contraction or drying shrinkage
- Specify type of joint (e.g. joint details)
- Approve location and type of construction joints
- Decide on need for construction joints in elements
- Consider by element:
- Bases, slabs, walls, columns
- Decide on type of joint e.g. rebated, flush etc.
- Impact of joints on pouring sequence and scheduling
- Tanking/Waterproofing of Joints – Hydrophilic strips, waterbar, etc.
- Preparation of construction joints – scabbling or use retarder and power wash etc.
- Formwork type - temporary or permanent (hi-rib me)